1. What is EasyPlanEx ? 2. Capacities 3. Versions 4. Requirements 5. Documents 6. Launching of EasyPlanEx - December 17, 2003 7. Screenshots
1. What is EasyPlanEx ?
EASYPLANEX is a software application that provides a COMPREHENSIVE SOLUTION for evaluating and optimizing any type of financial problems, because it allows the following:
1. Understandable models 2. Reliable results 3. Automatic documentation of the project 4. Library of reusable projects 5. Auditability 6. Independence from authors 7. Higher productivity
EASYPLANEX can be used to solve the following problems:
1. Evaluation and optimization of capital projects 2. Assessment of the value of a company 3. Estimation of the value of common stock 4. Optimization of inventory management 5. Optimization of production planning 6. Budget formulation and control 7. Simulation of financial statements
EASYPLANEX widens the PROJECT SCOPE because it does not only evaluate the proposed case, but it is able to automatically evaluate all its alternatives (even thousands of combinations), the result being that it shows the 20 best alternatives for the project.
EASYPLANEX has the capability to MEASURE THE RISK of decisions by means of the Monte Carlo method, allowing the user to take actions to reduce risk.
And last, but not least, EasyPlanEx is able to automatically perform risk analysis on every alternative (calculating risk and return for each one) and, based on it, it determines the EFFICIENT FRONTIER (optimal alternatives considering risk and return).
1.2 What are its main features ?
EasyPlanEx (Easy Planning Expert) is a powerful PC software developed by BoraSystems that helps the user evaluate and optimize capital projects as well as to forecast financial statements. EasyPlanex is not a spreadsheet add-on. Its main features are:
1. Easy and transparent modeling, writing statements like: Sales = Volume x Price 2. IRR, NPV and VAR calculations 3. Easy report generation (cash flow, balance, income statement, etc.) 4. Automatic sensitivity analysis 5. Automatic impact analysis 6. Risk analysis (Monte Carlo) 7. Optimization of investment projects 8. Automatic generation of project documentation report 9. Built-in financial calculator
- Data import/export from/to .xls spreadsheet files - On-line in-context help (EasyPlanEx does not have a user manual) - Built-in self-learning course - Bilingual english/spanish
EasyPlanEx will help you better formulate your projects or financial problems, obtaining higher profitability and controlling the risk level.
EasyPlanEx has the following relevant characteristics:
1. Equations of models are written in common language:
For example: Sales = Price x Volume
2. EasyPlanEx generates values for the independent variables through predefined rules.
3. EasyPlanEx perfoms risk analysis applying the Montecarlo technique, using various probability distribution functions (uniform, triangular, discrete, normal, etc.).
4. EasyPlanEx calculates the probability of obtaining specific results, i.e. probability of IRR (internal rate of return) or NPV (net present value) being less than the minimum return expected by shareholders.
5. EasyPlanEx performs automatic sensitivity analysis generating results for every possible combination of values for decision variables (as defined by the user). Moreover, EasyPlanEx automatically finds the best solution, among all possible alternatives.
6. EasyPlanEx determines the impact of percentage or unit variation of every independent variable and every constant on the defined objective (i.e. I.R.R.). Graphs are generated displaying the most sensitive constants or variables.
7. EasyPlanEx has a report generating capability which allows to easily define new reports. It also allows the user to add periods of reports. Thus, by just one click a 120-month report can be converted into a compact 10-year report.
8. EasyPlanEx generates graphs by just one click.
9. EasyPlanEx automatically generates the documentation of a project and enables to include additional explanations about variables and model equations.
10. EasyPlanEx automatically generates a project file for each work session and allows the user to see the complete history of the development of the case.
11. EasyPlanEx includes an advanced financial calculator to do quick calculations which can be printed.
1.3 Which are the main benefits of EasyPlanEx?
1. Optimization: EasyPlanEx finds the best alternative among hundreds or thousands possibilities. When risk analysis is performed EasyPlanEx is able to draw the efficient frontier.
2. Risk analysis: using the Montecarlo technique, the risk of a project is measured quantitatively thus improving the quality of decision-making.
3. Easy use and reliable results: due to its features of automatically generating documentation and easy understanding of models, it is simple to check whether a project has been appropriately formulated and whether the results are correct.
4. Reusability: transparency of models and ever updated documentation allow for model reusability and prevent organizations from depending on authors to introduce changes.
5. Auditing: EasyPlanEx feature of keeping track of the project’s history facilitates auditing.
6. Productivity increase: EasyPlanEx allows the user to concentrate on modeling and analysis instead of spending time in programming or checking results.
2. EasyPlanEx Capacities
EasyPlanEx capacities are sufficient enough to solve the most complex problems in project evaluation and financial planning:
Horizon 520 periods Historical periods 240 periods Number of indep. variables 250 Number of constants 200 Number of dependent variables 500 Number of models 50 Number of equations 500 Number of reports 50 Number of report lines 2.000 Number of analyzed data flows 30 (sensitivity or risk analysis) Number of alternatives 100.000 (sensitivity analysis)
3. EasyPlanEx Versions
EasyPlanEx is available in seven versions with similar functionality, though its capacity and usage limitations are specific to each one. These are:
1. FREE Shareware version. 15-day license. Sensitivity and risk analysis can be performed simultaneously on 3 flows. Models cannot have more than 100 statements.
2. HOME Shareware version for students and home. 60-day license. Non-profit use. Sensitivity and risk analysis can be performed simultaneously on 3 flows. Models cannot have more than 100 statements.
3. STD Standard (entry) version, only available by purchasing a user license. Sensitivity and risk analysis can be performed simultaneously on 3 flows. Models can have up to 100 statements.
4. PRO Professional version, only available by purchasing a user license. Sensitivity and risk analysis can be performed simultaneously on 6 flows. Models can have up to 500 statements.
5. STAR Advanced version similar to PRO, plus: sensitivity analysis can be performedsimultaneously on 12 flows, risk analysis can be performedsimultaneously on 18 flows, and variables maybe subject to constraints.
6. EDU Version available for universities and to be exclusively used in academic activities. Functionality is similar to the PRO version. It is licensed at a special academic price. 7. VIEW Sharewarer version similar to PRO, available to anyone who wants to see and analyze projects that have already been developed. The structure of the plan cannot be altered. Modifications are not saved. 30-day license.
The complete text of the user license agreement can be found on the INTRODUCTION section of the software.
EasyPlanEx runs on Windows® 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP/Vista/W7 and requires a PC with at least 256 MB RAM. In order to obtain adequate performance it is recommended to use a PC with 512 MB RAM.
5. EasyPlanEx Documents
Should yo wish to know more about EasyPlanEx, we suggest you to access the .pdf file EasyPlanEx: Software for Evaluation of Investment Projects and Financial Planning You will learn how EasyPlanEx will help you to be more productive and be confident on the results you obtain. You will learn how to do better financial planning and to do in-depth analysis of investment projects, being able to measure the risk involved in your decisions without the problems inherent to the utilization of electronic sheets.
Please be informed that these are copyright documents, only to be read.
Please click on the sub-menu bar to navigate to the desired section. If you click on .ppt Documents you can review the following documents:
EasyPlanEx: Software for Evaluation of Investment Projects and Financial Planning (17 slides describing EasyPlanEx in broad terms)
6.Launching of EasyPlanEx
The launching of EasyPlanEx took place on December 17, 2003 at the School of Engineering of Universidad de Chile. This software project was incubated at AccessNova (www.accessnova.cl), which belongs to the departments of Computer Sciences and Industrial Engineering of Universidad de Chile.
Eduardo Contreras, M.B.A., ESADE, Professor of Evaluation of Investment Projects of the department of Industrial Engineering of Universidad de Chile and Martin Boragk, M.B.A., University of Minnesota, founder of BoraSystems, were the main speakers of the occasion.